- About Breast Cancer
- Community Impact
- Get Involved
Komen’s Commitment to Metastatic Breast Cancer
MBC Event on Nov. 8
East Tennesseans living with MBC and their caregivers are invited to attend this free conference on November 8, 2019.
Travel assistance available for eligible MBC patients. Livestreaming or virtual attendance options also available.
Topics include clinical trials, side effect management, legal and financial issues, tackling difficult communications with loved ones, and so much more.
Race for the Cure
The 2019 Knoxville Race for the Cure will feature new opportunities to recognize and welcome participants living with metastatic breast cancer.
Berry colored t-shirts for “Forever Fighters” are being offered to participants living with MBC. There is no additional cost for the t-shirt, and participants will still receive the traditional pink “Survivor” t-shirts, if they would like one.
Metastatic Thrivers/Fighters will receive their “Forever Fighter” shirts with their Race packet. We welcome you stopping by to build relationships with each other at the MBC Area in “Hope Village” (formerly called the “Survivor Tent”).
The day’s festivities will include multiple opportunities for honoring and celebrating Survivors and MBC Thrivers/Fighters. We hope everyone whose lives have been impacted by breast cancer will feel welcome and appreciated.
Local Access to Care
As a local Affiliate, 75% of the net funds raised by Susan G. Komen East Tennessee are used to address critical community needs. Komen East TN has funded $10.5 Million in local community grants since 1997.
Locally, our two funding priorities are: 1) screening and diagnostic services and 2) financial assistance during breast cancer treatment.
Komen funds local assistance programs, as well as research. Komen has a Bold Goal to reduce the current number of breast cancer deaths by 50% by 2026. Thirty percent of that decrease can be achieved with no new research, but instead by ensuring everyone has access to timely and accurate care.
Research shows that up to 45% of cancer patients delay or discontinue their cancer treatments due to financial burdens. Metastatic breast cancer patients are especially at risk and have requested additional resources for help meeting their basic needs (source).
Komen East TN’s funding is frequently used to cover basic living expenses and essentials like grocery and transportation costs for local patients undergoing treatment, many of whom are living with metastatic disease.
Need help? Have questions? Call our local offices and let us know. Our Knoxville Region office phone number is 865-588-0902, and the Tri-Cities Region number is 423-765-9313.
Our Research Investment
Outside of the U.S. Federal Government, Susan G. Komen is the largest nonprofit funder of breast cancer research in the world.
Since 1982, Komen has funded more than $1 Billion in breast cancer research, including $210 Million specifically dedicated towards metastatic breast cancer research.
Approximately 70% of the research funding in our current fiscal year (FY19) is dedicated to metastatic breast cancer research.
Komen East Tennessee has contributed 25% of our net proceeds – almost $3.8 million – to research funding since 1997. The remaining 75% funds critical community needs in East Tennessee.