Community Grants

Komen East TN is the local source for funding breast cancer detection, support and educational awareness in 24 county service area.  What’s raised here stays here: 75% of net funds raised remain in East Tennessee via the Community Grants program. The remaining 25% of net funds were invested in the Susan G. Komen Grants Program managed at the national level. To learn more about Susan G. Komen’s research investment, click here.

Since it was founded in 1997, Komen East TN has invested $10.5 million in screening, diagnostic services, and patient assistance here in East Tennessee.

The funds Komen East TN grants to community programs in our service area have made a positive difference in the lives of those living with this deadly disease.

2019-20 Grant Recipients


Celebrate Life Cancer Support Group

Project: Celebrate Life Enriching and Renewing (C.L.E.A.R.)
Project C.L.E.A.R. provides financial support to patients battling breast cancer in all 16 Komen East Tennessee – Knoxville Region counties.  In addition to direct financial assistance, support is provided to patients through the delivery of snack foods to treatment facilities in Morristown and Sevierville for patients there long hours without meals and through a “Love Closet” containing donated items patients may need during treatment but are unable to afford.  Celebrate Life has monthly support group meetings with guest speakers to encourage and inform survivors and their families.

Learn more about the 2019-2020 funding to Celebrate Life Support Group.


Tennessee Department of Health

Project: Tennessee Breast and Cervical Screening Program (TBCSP)
The Tennessee Breast and Cervical Screening Program targets uninsured women in the Knoxville and Tri-Cities Regions for breast cancer screening and provides funding for further diagnostic testing when warranted.  Eligibility and clinical breast exams are completed at the county health department or at community health centers that contract with the program and women are referred to area providers for mammograms and diagnostic services.  In addition to screening and diagnostic services, the program provides for patient navigation along the continuum of care, including enrollment into TennCare for treatment if diagnosed with breast cancer.  Community outreach and education is also conducted in all 24 counties in the Komen East Tennessee service area (includes the 16-county Knoxville Region and 8-county Tri-Cities Region).

Learn more about the 2019-2020 funding to the Tennessee Department of Health.


University of Tennessee Medical Center Cancer Institute

Project: Breast Health Outreach Program (BHOP)
The UT Cancer Institute’s Breast Health Outreach Program is a program focused on improving access and reducing barriers to screening mammograms.  The UT BHOP increases access to care by offering 3D screening mammograms to uninsured women on the UT mobile mammography unit at convenient locations in the Komen East Tennessee – Knoxville Region’s 16-county service area.  A comprehensive navigation program for appropriate diagnostic and follow-up care is utilized through UT Breast Care Service when indicated.  In addition, educational programs are provided in the service area counties.

Learn more about the 2019-2020 funding to the UT Medical Center Cancer Institute.