Komen East TN’s Farewell

As we near our fiscal year end, we wanted to share some important updates, as well as my sincere appreciation. Even in the midst of a global pandemic, thanks to our amazing supporters, we were able to host the first ever virtual Race for the Cure in our Tri-Cities Region in April and another in our Knoxville Region in October.

Komen East TN’s mission is to save lives by meeting the most critical needs in our communities and investing in breakthrough research to prevent and cure breast cancer. We have always promised that 75% of our net proceeds remain right here in East Tennessee to provide screening and diagnostic services, patient financial assistance and education and the remaining 25% teams with other affiliate’s funds to fund national breast cancer research.

We are pleased to announce once again we are honoring that promise, by providing restricted gifts to our long-time mission partners who will be able to continue our legacy:

• University of TN Medical Center’s Breast Health Outreach Program to provide screening mammograms on their mobile mammography unit in our 24 county service area.

• The Tennessee Department of Health Eastern Region and Knoxville Metro to provide screening and diagnostic services to the women and men in the 16 county service area, through the approximately 100 partners/vendors that exist throughout that community, and

• The Tennessee Department of Health Northeastern Region and Sullivan Metro to provide screening and diagnostic services to the women and men in the 8 county service area, through the approximately 100 partners/vendors that exist throughout that community,

• Celebrate Life Cancer Support Group, who will provide patient financial assistance to those in current treatment in our 24 county service area.

Because of your support, we are incredibly proud to share that since our founding in 1997, Komen East TN has funded $14.5 Million in support of our promise to end breast cancer. We have invested over $11 Million in community breast health services and $3.5 Million in breast cancer research.

However, it is with a heavy heart, I also write to inform you of the decision by Komen Headquarters to centralize operations, consolidate all of the local affiliates, and refocus its mission to national research, advocacy, and national patient programs provided by the 1-877-GO-KOMEN number.

We, at Komen East TN, believe that the funds we have raised belong in our community, as was the donor intent. With the distribution of nearly $400,000 to the above mentioned organizations, Susan G. Komen East TN will cease to exist as of March 31, 2021.

On behalf of Susan G. Komen East TN’s Board of Directors and Staff – “Thank You”. It’s been our humble privilege to support our community and to serve along- side you in the fight against breast cancer. It is because of your generous support we are in a position to enable others in our community to continue the fight against breast cancer in East TN.